Volume 25, Issue 10 (Monthly_Dec 2014)                   J Urmia Univ Med Sci 2014, 25(10): 874-880 | Back to browse issues page

XML Persian Abstract Print


Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Hosseini Jazani N, Sharifi Y, Farzaneh H, Zartoshti M. DETERMINATION OF THE EFFICACY OF PHOSPHOMYCIN ON CLINICAL ISOLATES OF METHICILLIN-RESISTANT STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS. J Urmia Univ Med Sci. 2014; 25 (10) :874-880
URL: http://umj.umsu.ac.ir/article-1-2544-en.html
Department Of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Urmia University of Medical Sciences , n_jazani@yahoo.com
Abstract:   (5615 Views)

 

Background & Aims: Staphylococcus aureus is a Gram-positive coccus that can cause a range of infections. Methicillin resistance in these bacteria is often in companion with resistance to multiple antibiotics. High prevalence of these isolates can cause treatment failure. Phosphomycin is a Peptidoglycan biosynthesis inhibitor that is used in treating of infections caused by multi-drug resistant bacteria. The aim of this study was the investigation of the effect of phosphomycin on clinical isolates of methicillin-resistant S.aureus.

Materials & Methods: This study was conducted on 43 clinical isolates of methicillin-resistant S.aureus that were collected and identified using standard methods. Susceptibility of isolates to different antibiotics was tested by disk diffusion method. The minimum inhibitory and bactericidal concentrations of phosphomycin serial dilutions of antibiotic were prepared in broth medium in concentrations ranging between 0.25-128 mg/L after that isolates were inoculated to each tube. S. aureus ATCC 25923 was used as reference strain.

Results: Among the strains, 16.3% were sensitive to all investigated concentrations and 11.6%were resistant. The average amounts of minimum inhibitory and minimum bactericidal concentrations for the other isolates were 57.16±51.05 and 74.70±49.72 µ/ml, respectively. Regarding the standard definitions, a total of 44.2% of isolates were resistant and 55.8% were sensitive to phosphomycin.

Conclusion: Due to the higher resistance of isolates tested in this study, compared with others, it seems that there is a need for exact evaluation of susceptibility tests and being cautious in using of phosphomycin alone, as well as designing another studies in order to evaluate the use of the combination of phosphomycin with other antibiotics against methicillin-resistant S. aureus.

 

SOURCE: URMIA MED J 2014: 25(10): 880 ISSN: 1027-3727

Full-Text [PDF 438 kb]   (860 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Research | Subject: آناتومی

Add your comments about this article : Your username or Email:
CAPTCHA

Send email to the article author


© 2019 All Rights Reserved | URMIA MEDICAL JOURNAL

Designed & Developed by : Yektaweb